Looking out of my window at the rain pouring down, soaking the grass, (hopefully helping with the bush fires) there is nothing more warming than munching on a delicious stew. Almost like a big warm hug greeting every mouthful, this Tomato and Barley Stew is both delicious and nutritious!
Deciding that my repertoire of recipes was in dire need of some delicious new additions, I recently visited the local wholefoods market. Returning with a number of new ingredients that have not been used in my kitchen before, the experimenting began...
2 brown onions, diced
2 cloves of garlic, minced
2 tins of diced tomatoes (800g)
2 tbsp. dried basil
2 tbsp. dried oregano
1 tsp. of smoked Paprika
3 cups of vegetable stock
1 cup of barley pearls
1 tbsp. maple syrup
1/2 tsp garlic salt
1/2 tsp onion powder
1. Place the onions and garlic into a large pot and cook until lightly brown.
2. Add tomatoes, basil, oregano and paprika.
3. Blend using a stick blender until smooth. If you prefer a more rustic stew, omit this step.
4. Add stock and barley pearls and simmer on a low heat until the barley pearls are tender (approximately 45-55 minutes).
5. Before serving, add maple syrup, garlic salt and onion powder.
6. Stir well and serve. (Serves 6)